Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Kadalekaalu Usali/Brown chickpeas Usal







Kadalekaalu usali is a very common side dish in Karnataka.This is usually given as prasada on the 10th day of Ganesha Chaturti festival(The Idol Immersion day).This dish is very nutritious and tasty.

Ingredients:
Chickpeas brown/Kadalekaalu soaked overnight-1 cup
Green chillies sliced fine-4-5
Ginger grated- 1 inch piece
Fresh coconut scraped-1/2 cup
Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp.
Curry leaves-1 stalk
Coriander leaves finely chopped-1 tsp.
Lemon juice-2 tsp.
Asafoetida-a pinch
Turmeric-1/2 tsp
Red Chillies-1-2
salt to taste
Sugar-1/2 tsp
oil-2 tbsp

Method:
Soak the chickpeas overnight.Pressure cook until tender(5-8 whistles)Drain the water and keep it aside.Heat the oil in a pan.Add Mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.Add Red Chilli,turmeric,hing,Ginger,curry leaves.Fry for a minute.Add
Chickpeas,coconut,salt,sugar.Mix well and keep it covered on a low fire for 10-15 mins.Later add Lemon Juice and coriander.Mix well and serve hot or cold.

This is very tasty to eat as a snack.It goes well with Rice or Chapatis.This is also a good snack with Alcoholic drinks.Enjoi !!!

10 comments:

Trupti said...

I love this usal but I didn't make from long time. Now by seeing your post I want to make it.

Latha said...

Usli looks yummy Rupa!

Mansi Desai said...

oh! that's new to me Rupa..thanks for sharing the idea:) and I'm glad you loved my cutlets!:)

Maya said...

I love this usal..Make it very often..Yours looks great !!!

Vanamala said...

usli looks good!!! i used to make it on my fasting day :)

Rupa said...

Trupti,Latha,Mansi,Maya,vanamala

Thankyou so much.I am very glad that you all liked it :)

DEEPA said...

wow!!this is a good one!!!

Uma said...

first time here. Your blog looks lovely. You have so many yummy recipes. chick peas usal looks so colorful.

Rupa said...

Thanks!!

Jeena said...

Hi there my name is Jeena and I have started a food recipe forum that I thought you would like to join here Click here for food recipe forum

I would love to see you on there to chat about food and cooking you can talk about anything you like and start your very own topics. :-)
or see my main food recipe website Jeenas food recipe site

Hope to see you soon

Thanks

Jeena x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...